Pizza Crust

Growing up with very little money, almost everything we had was homemade. That's when making it at home was always cheaper then eating out. My mom would even make cheese. I still remember seeing the ball of cheese wrapped in a cheese cloth hanging in the shower(that part grosses out my husband) letting all the whey drip out of it. Although the bathroom part doesn't sound so good the taste was unbelievable. So when pizza started to become an important staple to my brothers diet my mom learned how to make pizza dough. Although I love my moms cooking and if it wasn't for her I would not be able to cook the way I do. Her dough is not my favorite. It's taken me years to find a dough that has that nice chewy consistency. This recipe is actually from the California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook. I usually quadsixal (I don't think that's a word) this recipe and I get 1 extra large pizza, bread sticks and a dessert pizza(that's my kids favorite).

1 tsp. Yeast
1/2 c. plus 1 Tbsp. warm water (105-110 degrees F)
1 1/2 c. bread flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
plus 1 tsp for coating


In a mixer using a dough hook dissolve the yeast in water and let proof for 5-10 minutes

Add half the flour and mix slighly then add the salt, 1 Tbsp olive oil and the rest of the flour using the lowest speed of your mixer. Mix for 2-3 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Do not over mix it will cause a tough dough.


lightly oil the inside of a large bowl and place the dough ball in the bowl and seal with plastic wrap so it's air tight. Let rise until doubled in size. The next part in the recipe I don't always do. After punching down the dough from the first rising, recover and place in the fridge overnight(you are going to need to keep in eye on it because it will keep rising in the fridge).


If you've put it in the fridge overnight you need to take your dough out 2hrs before you are ready to assemble your pizza. Using a knife divide your dough into equal portions, place into a greased casserol dish, cover and allow to double in size(they should be smooth and puffy). If you have a pizza stone place it in your oven and preheat to 500 degrees F one hour before cooking.


I like to take a large piece of aluminum foil sprayed with pan to place the dough on and then using my hands form the dough into a circle. If your adventurous you can try tossing it like a professional, just make sure your floor is clean so you can still use the dough after you drop it.
Now here comes the fun part the toppings: pepperoni, olives, cheese, mushrooms, bacon, ham, cinnamon- sugar the list is endless.


This is where my kids love to help.

Cook pizza from 8-18 minutes depending on the size of the pizza. Because my pizzas are so big they usually take closer to the 18 minute mark.

This is the dessert pizza, just a little brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. After it's cooked I drizzle with icing. This never has any leftovers.

3 comments:

Cicily said...

I found your blog, from Sheri Denton and tried your recipe. That dough is amazing, perfect and light and delicious!! Thanks for posting it. I was going to ask how you multiply it for your big pizza, x6?

Ann said...

Here are the amounts I use when I
X6 the recipe
2 Tbsp yeast
3 1/4c + 2 Tbsp water
9c. bread flour
1/4c. sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4c + 2 Tbsp oil
2-3 tsp oil for coating
I will also post this on the printable version.

Melody said...

This is a great staple recipe. And how fun for kids to make their own pizza.