Mormon Muffins


The Taste of Home magazine used to have an article entitled "I Wish I Had That Recipe...." in which a reader could write in about a recipe they would like to have from a particular restaurant. This recipe come from The Greenery Restaurant. I've been there a few times and these muffins are really good, but they don't give them away, if you want one you have to buy it and they aren't cheap. So I was glad when I saw this recipe published. Now I can have these at home when ever I get a craving.


5 tsp. baking soda
2 c. boiling water
1 c. shortening (I use butter)
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
5 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 quart buttermilk
4 c. All-Bran cereal
2 c. bran flakes
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven 350 degrees F


In a bowl, stir baking soda in boiling water until dissolved. Cool.

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening(or butter) and sugar


Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour and salt in a separate bowl


Add to the creamed mixture

Alternately with the buttermilk. Mix well.

Beat in the baking soda mixture.

Fold in All- Bran


Bran-flakes and nuts.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until muffins tests done.


Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve with honey butter. Muffin batter will keep in the fridge for 1 week. Which is really a good thing because this recipe make a lot of batter.


No comments: