30 minute Alfredo

This is really a quick and easy sauce to make. Not low calorie, but what good Alfredo sauce is. I like to add lots of meat and veggies to my sauce. You can substitute shrimp or scallops for the chicken, I bet it would even be good with artichokes or tomatoes, or you can just leave it plan. Your options are endless. Once you have a good sauce you can always get creative with your add-ins. I even like to use different noodles. WOW the possibilities.

Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
2 cups cream
1 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Tonights add-ins:
1 Tbsp oil
8oz sliced mushrooms
2 small chicken breast - cut into pieces
8oz uncooked noodles


In a large skillet heat oil

Add chicken and cook for 7-9 minutes or until no longer pink. When chicken is cooked, remove from pan.


Add butter to skillet

Add mushrooms and saute until brown

Reduce heat to medium-low and add cream. You can use half and half instead of cream, but add a little extra cheese if you do.

I like to use fresh parmesan for this sauce, but you are more then welcome to use the stuff in the can.


Add Cheese and stir.
Add pepper. Fresh ground is nice, but not necessary. Let simmer for 10 -20 minutes, making sure to stir every little bit so it doesn't burn.
While the sauce is simmering cook your noodles. I used these curly noodles tonight, they were what I had in my cupboard and my kids aren't picky on what type of noodles they eat. However I will say this, macaroni noodles DO NOT work well with this dish.
Cook noodles according to package directions. If your sauce starts to thicken to much while your noodles are cooking, just add some pasta water to the sauce to get it to the right consistency that you like.

A few minutes before your noodles are done add your chicken back into the sauce and stir. Now you have just created a great dish in 30 minutes. I love those kinds of meals!

1 comment:

Mommy's Kitchen said...

Yummo I could peel those mushrooms right off that plate. I am always looking for a good alfredo. I am glad you are posting again.