Can't get any Easier then this.... Apple Dumplings

I originally got this recipe from the Pioneer women, but I have since been told it belongs to the Barefoot Contessa. So, whoever came up with this recipe I am grateful. I love apple dumplings, but they are so much work to make. This recipe is simple and it tastes great. I did modify it just a little by adding more apples, but that's all I changed.

4 Granny Smith Apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can Mountain Dew (or about a cup)

The original recipe called for only 2 apples, but I like a lot of apples in mine. It makes me feel like I'm a healthy eater.
Peel Apples. I like to try to see if I can get the peeling off in one cut. You know, like in the show Sleepless in Seattle.
Core and cut apples into 8 slices each

Use 2 cans crescent rolls
Don't forget to clip your Box top.
Place 2 slices of apple on each roll. If you stick with the unhealthy original recipe you only place one slice of apple per roll.

Now roll the apples up. Place into a greased 9X13 baking pan.
Place 2 sticks of butter in a microwave safe bowl.

Melt. MMMMM..... melted butter

Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and stir.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and stir again.

Pour over apples
My husband doesn't see the practical concept of a small can of Mountain Dew. So a bottle of Mountain Dew is what I have.
Add about a cup of Dew. I've heard you can add orange juice also, but I figure if you are going to make this recipe you might as well go all out.

Sprinkle cinnamon on top. The amount of cinnamon you add is up to you. I kind of like a lot.

Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes. This is great served hot with ice cream and the Dew and sugar make a nice sauce in the bottom of the pan you can spoon over the top.

No comments: