Chicken WonTon Salad


I got this recipes about a year and a half ago from my then neighbor and good friend Ali. We had been neighbors 8years before she made this salad for me. I couldn't believe it, she had been holding out on me that whole time. I have to wonder what other recipes she's waiting to spring on me. This is a simple and great tasting salad. My little girl loves the dressing that goes along with it. She calls it "her favorite famous green dressing" try saying that three times.

1 head iceberg lettuce
1 head romaine lettuce
1 small can water chestnuts
1 c. slivered almonds
3 cooked chicken breast or 1 rotisserie chicken
1/2 pkg won-tons, fried
Dressing:
1c. oil
3/4c. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2c. sugar
4-6 green onions


In a small pan or skillet heat your oil to about 350 degrees F.
Fry won tons until lightly browned on both sides, this only takes a couple minutes.
Transfer fried won tons onto paper towels to drain
Rinse and dry lettuce
Chop
Shred chicken. Store bought rotisserie works great for this salad, you don't have to cook anything and it gives it an added flavor and... you don't have to cook anything.

I unfortunately bought whole water chestnuts so I have to slice them

For your dressing: chop your onions
In a blender add 3/4c. vinegar
Add onions, salt and pepper, oil and sugar.
Blend until fully pureed. You should have a nice smooth green dressing
Now you can assemble you salad. There are a couple ways you can do this: you can throw all the ingredients in a bowl and pour the dressing over the salad right before serving and then crumble the won tons over the top or you can plate each salad individually. I usually plate individually when I'm at home, I have some kids and an adult who don't like the water chestnuts, but like extra chicken and dressing and I don't like almonds. So this way everyone gets what they like.

No comments: