Indian Chapati Bread

I love to make this bread anytime I serve an Indian dish. Although it is not quit the same as naan, it is so much quicker to make.





1 c. whole wheat flour
1c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 c. hot water or as needed



In a bowl mix together the flour and salt. Stir in oil and enough water to make a soft dough that is elastic but not sticky. ( The day I made this I was out of wheat flour so I used only all-purpose flour)

Knead the dough until smooth.
Divide into 10 parts, or less if you want bigger bread. Roll each piece into a ball. Let rest for a few minutes. My sweet little 2 year old likes to smoosh all the balls down before I can roll them out.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the balls of dough until very thin like a tortilla.


My cute little niece was visiting and helped me with dinner. Isn't she sweet.


Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot, and grease lightly. When pan is hot put a chapati on it. Cook until the underside has brown spots, about 30 seconds, then flip and cook on the other side. Continue with remaining dough.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Quick & easy. I like that! And something my daughter can help me make. Thanks for the recipe.

Stephanie said...

I just made these to go with my dinner tonight. They turned out so good! Thanks for the great recipe, I'll definitely be making these again!