Chili Verde


It took my husband a while to get me to make this chile verde recipe. I had been making Chile verde for years from a recipe I received from my neighbors mother. So when my husband told me about this recipe his friends wife makes. I was a bit of a snob and said that my recipe was true chile verde. Well after nagging me for a while I decided to try it, and WOW it was wonderful and soooo easy. You just throw everything into a crock pot in the morning and its done by evening. Now I have to make sure and give credit to the person who I received this recipe from. Thanks Julie, I love it!!!

1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
6 boneless Pork Loin chips (boneless chicken breasts can be substituted, if pork is not your favorite)
1 16oz. jar salsa verde
1 7oz. can diced green chilies
1 190z. can green chili enchilada sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp chipotle chili pepper or more if like lots of heat (optional)
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
1 lime for juicing
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped


Saute the onions and garlic in the oil, until softened.

In a crock pot add the pork chops, the sauteed onions and garlic. Continue to add salsa verde, green chilies, green enchilada sauce, oregano, cumin and chili peppers. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until pork is fork tender.

When pork is cooked, take it out of the sauce and cut it up into chunks or shred, and add it back into the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Right before serving squeeze lime juice over the chile verde and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.

No comments: