Lemon pound cake




I love anything lemon, but this I think is one of my favorites. I found this recipe on the Internet and tweaked it to my liking. The cake has just the right amount of lemony favor and the icing on top just gives it that extra zing.



1 c. Butter (no substitutes)
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
1/2 c. lemon juice (fresh squeezed if possible)
1 Tbsp. lemon peel
1 Tsp. lemon extract
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sour cream




In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.

My son still loves to cook with his mom =)


Pour batter into 2 greased and floured bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


When completely cooled, combine 3c. confectioners' sugar and 5 Tbsp lemon juice, whisk until smooth. Poor over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze the drizzle down the sides. As you can see part of my cake was eaten before the glaze was made, you may have that problem too.
You can also make this cake in a bundt pan. Just up the cooking time about 10minutes.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I have been feverishly watching your blog for THIS post. I cannot wait to make it.

Kara said...

Well, I made this! It is delightful. I ended up using bread pans. I think my bread pans are smaller than yours, or that I beat the eggs into meringue with my bosch, because I filled 3 bread pans and one ALMOST spilled over in the oven. It still turned out great though, and oh darn, I have an extra cake!

Mommy's Kitchen said...

Those Lemon Loaves are Beautiful. I love Lemon Bread. This is a must try for me.